After a server upgrade at work, Excel, my favorite program, began talking a very long time to open files on the network storage. Files that used to take 3 or 4 seconds to open were now taking more than 2 minutes. If I moved the file to my local drive, the file would open immediately, as expected.
I am running Windows XP and Office 2003. Our server was updated to a SBS 2011 machine.
After doing a number of Google searches I found the following articles which helped resolve my problem. So I’m passing these tips on to help others who might be experiencing the same issue.
Both of these articles have a FixIt utility that will make the appropriate entries in your registry to fix the “open latency issue.”
Hope this helps 😀